A summary of the ordinance is posted at www.lacity.org/for-residents/popular-services/comprehensive-homeless-strategy-implementation/los-angeles-municipal.
Living in a vehicle (vehicle dwelling) is prohibited at all times:
- within one block (500 feet) of licensed schools, pre-schools, daycare facilities, or parks.
Persons may live in a vehicle:
- Daytime Hours, between 6 am and 9 pm:
more than one block (500 feet) away from licensed schools, pre-schools, daycare facilities, or parks;
- Nighttime Hours, between 9 pm and 6 am:
in non-residentially zoned areas which are more than one block (500 feet) away from licensed schools, pre-schools or daycare facilities or parks.
- Vehicles must comply with all posted parking restrictions at all times.
- All vehicles driven or parked on a California street, road or highway must be registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and insured.
- Any vehicle that has been parked on a city street or highway for 72 hours or more can be reported as an abandoned vehicle.
- Parking in alleys is illegal at all times.
- Vehicles without an engine, wheels, or some other part necessary for safely driving the vehicle are subject to immediate impounding.
Maps are provided to assist the public in identifying streets where living in a vehicle would/would not be allowed. The Wilshire Area vehicle dwelling parking map is located at www.lacity.org/sites/g/files/wph781/f/Wilshire%20Area%20Community%20Police%20Station.pdf.